Although everyone knows that automobiles have a negative impact on the environment, they have become a necessary transportation resource for billions of people around the world. Fortunately, there have been several changes made to reduce the damage that the typical vehicle causes, and hybrid and electric cars are another step in the right direction. Additionally, anyone who is concerned about the environment should seek out a green auto repair or body shop to take care of all of their vehicle’s repairs. Of course, you must first do your homework so that you are informed and know the right questions to ask.
Tips for Finding an Auto Shop Near You
1. Call nearby auto shops – In some cases, the best way to find an eco-friendly body shop is to simply call several nearby locations and inquire about their methods for recycling oil and waste disposal. Each shop’s response will give you a good indication if they care about reducing their negative impact on the environment or simply look for the easiest way to do everything.
2. Contact your local Green Business Association – It is becoming increasingly common for major areas to have a green business association. Therefore, looking for one of these is the ideal way to help you locate a green auto body shop and several other eco-friendly businesses.
3. Visit a local eco-friendly message board – If your area does not have a green business association, you can easily turn to an online message board to obtain referrals from other environmentally conscious individuals regarding the best green auto body shops in your area.
4. Online research – Finding niche resources needed to get you back on the road after a mechanical failure or an accident is so much easier with the internet than before when we were mostly dependent on word of mouth. If you can’t find information on message boards, you may have to do a more in-depth online search for resources like the Orlando based, eco-friendly, and mobile auto body shop, Collision on Wheels, or an Orlando car accident attorney, both serving the Central Florida area.
Ask These Questions to Ensure the Auto Shop is Green
1. Are you a member of a green business association? – The auto repair or body shop should be listed as a member in a green business directory the general public can access. If you are at the location, look for posted certifications.
2. How do you dispose of your hazardous waste? – Green auto repair shops take extra measures to adhere to environmental standards by ensuring that hazardous materials such as motor oil, antifreeze and other chemical solvents are not only properly disposed of, but also properly used and stored, which decreases the risks of air, water, and landfill contamination.
3. Do you place an emphasis on repairing instead of replacing to reduce waste? – Many auto shops are quick to suggest replacing an item that could actually be repaired. Avoiding this is much more eco-friendly. According to Mark Orchard, the owner of Collision on Wheels, “We repair rather than replace most plastic bumpers to reduce the amount of waste going into our landfills.”
4. What types of paint do you use in your repairs? – If your car absolutely needs parts replaced or repainting, make sure the auto body shop is using environmentally-friendly products such as high performance, water-based toners. Another alternative is to use Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) or special tools to push out the dents and dings by hand. Both of these options decrease toxic waste and harmful VOCs to the air which protect the atmosphere and create a healthier work environment for employees.
5. How often do I really need to service my car? – Although preventive maintenance is key to extending the life of your vehicle, lowering the frequency of visits to “absolutely necessary” can also have a positive impact on the environment. To also cut down on maintenance needs, consider a car sharing program which takes cars off the road, thereby decreasing emissions, traffic congestion, and fossil fuel usage.
Although you might need to utilize a few different resources to find a local auto repair or body shop that is committed to being eco-friendly, it will definitely be worth the time investment because you will be able to get your vehicle serviced by a company that shares your environmental ideals. Start looking into your options now so that you will not feel rushed the next time you need to get your car repaired.
Sylvia Burley is a freelance writer who is concerned about the health of the planet and loves sharing eco-friendly ideas. Her company, Green Energy Consulting Group, assists companies in implementing their marketing and communication strategies more sustainably. If in a car accident, find a green auto repair or body shop and an Orlando car accident attorney to help you get back on the road quickly and safely. Circle Sylvia at G+