Comfort food doesn’t get much cozier than a piping hot bowl of mac and cheese. This beloved dish is a classic staple in many households, cherished for its nostalgic appeal and heartwarming qualities. Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food, offering a perfect balance of creamy, cheesy, and indulgent goodness.
At the heart of this dish is the creamy cheese sauce, made from a combination of cheeses blended with milk, and a pinch of salt and pepper. The sauce coats every nook and cranny of the al dente macaroni, creating a harmonious marriage of flavors and textures. It’s pure comfort in a bowl, bringing a feeling of warmth and contentment with each bite.
Mac and cheese has a universal appeal, from children to adults, and it’s often the go-to meal when you crave something soothing and familiar. Whether you enjoy it as a side dish, a main course, or even with creative add-ins like crispy bacon bits or sautéed vegetables, mac and cheese has a special place in the hearts and stomachs of many, making it a timeless and cherished comfort food favorite.
Gouda, Cheddar, and Parmesan Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 8 oz elbow macaroni or pasta of your choice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk whole milk or 2% recommended
- 1 1/2 cups Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs optional, for a crispy topping
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish optional
- Cook the macaroni or pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan or skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly for about 1-2 minutes to create a roux. It should be smooth and light golden in color.
- Gradually pour in the milk while continuing to whisk. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it thickens, usually about 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the shredded Gouda, Cheddar, and grated Parmesan cheeses. Stir until the cheeses are completely melted and the sauce is smooth. If desired, add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a hint of spiciness. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until the pasta is well coated.
- If you'd like a crispy topping, preheat your oven's broiler. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to an oven-safe dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over the top, and place it under the broiler for1-2 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Serve the Gouda, Cheddar, and Parmesan Macaroni and Cheese hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
This macaroni and cheese recipe is a celebration of three delicious cheeses, creating a dish that’s both decadent and comforting. Whether it’s a side dish at a family gathering or the star of your dinner table, this creamy delight will have everyone asking for seconds. Enjoy the irresistible blend of Gouda, Cheddar, and Parmesan in every bite!