Eating healthy is important, but sometimes, our schedules require that we order takeout or hit the drive-thru on our way home because it’s easier and less time consuming. And while it is more convenient, it can have damaging effects on our health.
Nobody said that cooking a healthy dinner had to take all night. So whether you have plans or simply hate wasting time in the kitchen, the following are five great—and very healthy—dinner recipes that can be prepared, cooked and ready to eat in 30 minutes or less.
The combination of hearty gnocchi with tasty vegetables will drive your palate crazy.
• 1 lb. gnocchi
• 2 shallots, chopped
• 2 tbsp. butter
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
• 3 zucchinis, sliced lengthwise
• ¼ tsp. nutmeg
• ½ cup parmesan cheese
• ½ cup parsley
1. Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain.
2. In a large skillet, melt butter. Add shallots and zucchini. Cook until soft.
3. Add tomatoes and nutmeg, stirring often.
4. Add in parsley and parmesan.
5. Add in the gnocchi and coat.
Moo Shoo Veggies
Get the luxury and flavor of Chinese takeout without leaving the comfort of your own home.
• 3 tsp. sesame oil
• 2 tsp. ginger, minced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 12 oz. mixed vegetables
• 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
• 2 cups mung bean sprouts
• 1 bunch scallions
• 1 tbsp. soy sauce
1. Heat 1 tsp. oil in skillet.
2. Add in the eggs, stirring gently.
3. Place on a plate.
4. Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in skillet.
5. Add in garlic and ginger, stirring until soft.
6. Add in vegetables, sprouts, soy sauce, vinegar and scallions.
7. Cover and cook until tender.
Salmon is a great fish as it contains many health benefits.
• 4 skinless salmon fillets
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• ½ cup feta, crumbled
• 1/3 cup pine nuts
• 10 oz. baby spinach
• 2 tsp. lemon juice
1. Heat broiler.
2. Place salmon on baking sheet. Broil for 7 minutes.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add in spinach, and cook until tender.
4. Remove from heat and drain excess liquid.
5. Add in the pine nuts, feta and lemon juice.
Glazed Pork Chops
This tasty dish will become a staple in your menu rotation.
• 4 boneless pork chops
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 tbsp. butter
• 1 shallot
• ¼ tsp. thyme
• ½ cup dry white wine
• 1 tsp sage
1. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet.
2. Add in pork. Cook for 4 min per side.
3. Transfer to a plate.
4. Add shallot to the skillet. Stir until soft.
5. Add thyme, sage and a bit of wine. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
6. Add sauce on top of the pork chop.
Yes, steak. It’s easy to prepare and healthy for you.
• 4 shell steaks
• 4 tsp. olive oil
1. Heat oil in a skillet.
2. Add in two of the steaks. Cook for about 2 min per side.
3. Repeat process for remaining two steaks.
4. Serve with a delicious salad.
Jessica Brown is a health expert. She loves blogging about healthy eating and exercise in her spare time. Jessica often shares recipes for quick and easy dinners.