Grandma’s Best Lasagna Recipe
If you have an Italian grandmother, you know what I’m talking about when it comes to pasta, specifically lasagna. Here is a favorite loved by all.
Ingredients for Lasagna Recipe
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 28-oz cans Italian peeled tomatoes, finely chopped, juices reserved
- 1 28-oz can tomato puree
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 thyme sprigs, tied together with kitchen string
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 pounds fresh ricotta
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound packaged whole-milk mozzarella, shredded (3 cups)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 12 dried lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In large pan, break up chuck and sirloin into large chunks with olive oil.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, pepper, and tomato paste until coated.
- Add tomatoes and juices, tomato puree, chicken stock, bay leaves, thyme, and sugar, and bring to boil.
- Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- While simmering, cook sausage meat in large skillet until browned, break into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs from sauce mixture.
- In large bowl, mix ricotta, parsley, basil, 1/4 cup of parmesan, and 2/3 of mozzarella and beat in egg.
- Cook lasagna noodles and dry between layers of paper towels.
- Layer sauce, noodles, ricotta mixture, and sausage into 9×13-inch glass casserole dish.
- Continue layering until mixture runs out.
- Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake lasagna recipe for 45 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool for 20 minutes.
For more recipes, click here.