For some twisted reason, a lot of people seem to think that women are more pre-occupied with gifts than men are. It’s most probably a sexist view of things, seeing as how men are commonly identified as the wooer rather than the wooed. But obviously, men like presents just as much as women do. Nobody says no to gifts, especially when given by people who matter most to you.
But are men easier to buy gifts for? Again, another sweeping generalization. Not all men are created equal, and what appeals to one won’t appeal to the other. If you think it’s a lot of work, well, it is. Giving the man in your life a gift is not a hassle, though; it’s an opportunity to show him how much you care.
Here are a few gifts to consider. There’s something for every man:
1. A watch. What jewelry is to women, a watch is to men. Since most guys don’t really wear a lot of accessories, a watch tends to be the focal point. Pick out a lovely watch that will go well with his usual fashion style. Note if his usual look is laid-back casual, three-piece suit power dressing, or even surfer dude. Then select a watch that will easily enhance his every day look.
2. An adventure getaway. Take him camping, mountain climbing, bungee jumping, or even skydiving. Make new memories by enjoying exhilarating new adventures together. Of course, do make sure your loved one isn’t afraid of heights before pulling something like this off.
3. Gadgets! Toys for the big boys, as they say, and men simply love messing around with newfangled technology. Get him a tablet, an e-book reader, or even a camera. Just make sure the gadget you select is something he’ll actually be able to use regularly.
4. Grooming kit. He might never admit it, but he definitely needs one. Men need to look good, too, so it’s not too much to indulge a bit of his vanity. Create a grooming kit that includes basic needs like facial cleanser, oil-free moisturizer, shaving cream, and after-shave. This is particularly important if he’s looking to impress his bosses and move up the career ladder.
5. Personalized greeting card for Valentine’s. These days, greeting cards have gone beyond the blasé. You can now design your own cards using an electronic greeting card software. Choose from a number of templates then add your personal message, making it a unique and memorable gesture of love.
James Yuki is a staff writer at NYCMagazine.com, an online publication about the Big Apple. He is responsible for the site’s popular NYC Guide.