In today’s digital age, we’re more exposed to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) than ever before. From smartphones to Wi-Fi routers, these devices emit EMFs, which might correlate with various health risks. These health risks are especially worrying for people with children. As a parent or caregiver, you probably want to understand how to maintain a safe digital environment by learning how EMF affects your children. Get this information below.
What Are EMFs?
EMFs are a type of energy generated from electric and magnetic fields that are invisible to the naked eye. Devices such as cell phones, laptops, and tablets all emit EMFs, which are low-frequency or high-frequency radiation.
Why Are They a Concern?
Studies have shown that EMF exposure could lead to health risks, such as cancer, infertility, and brain damage. Children are especially vulnerable, as their nervous systems are still developing and their skulls are thinner, so radiation can penetrate more easily.
The higher the frequency, the more harmful radiation can be to our health. It’s important to note that most scientists consider the amount of EMF radiation that we’re exposed to daily safe. However, it doesn’t hurt to enact preventative measures to protect your and your children’s health.
How Can You Reduce Your Children’s Exposure to EMFs?
One of the many common EMF radiation myths is that its impact on health is exaggerated. Though the frequency of the radiation determines how harmful it is, parents can create a safer digital environment for their children by following a few basic steps.
- Use devices in moderation: Encourage your children to take breaks from their devices, especially at night time when EMFs can disrupt their sleep.
- Turn off Wi-Fi: Turn off the Wi-Fi when not in use or use an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi to connect to the internet.
- Keep EMF-emitting devices at a distance: It’s important to keep devices that emit high levels of EMFs, like microwaves, away from living spaces and out of children’s bedrooms.
- Use protective cases and shields: Protective cases and shields are available to install on devices and block or reduce EMFs.
- Purchase low-EMF devices: Do your research and find devices that emit low levels of EMFs.
- Tech-Free Zones: Create tech-free zones around your house where kids can detox from their digital gadgets and have a space to relax or do other engaging activities.
Taking these steps will help you reduce your children’s exposure to EMFs.
Pay Attention to Your Kids’ Digital Environment
While there’s still debate over the health risks of EMFs, you can take steps to reduce exposure, particularly for children. Encourage your children to have a healthy relationship with technology by implementing simple, common-sense measures like using devices in moderation, keeping them away from living spaces, and investing in protective shields. You can maintain a safe digital environment for your children by taking steps to deal with EMFs.